Standard Conditions of Hire

Charlton Down Village Hall – Standard Condition of Hire

NB: All references to Rules refer to the General Rules governing the use of Charlton Down Village Hall

  1. The Hirer shall pay as a deposit to confirm the booking 1/3 of the Room Hire fee which is to be paid by the Due Date as stated on the invoice. In addition to this hire fee a damage deposit of £150, must be paid to the Booking secretary at least 15 days before the event where applicable. This will be banked and will be returned after the hire if all is well. The booking deposit will not be refunded if the hirer cancels the event within 15 days of the start date of the event. It will of course be refunded in the case of CDVH cancelling the booking in pursuance of General rules governing the use of Charlton Down Village Hall rule 3 (c) below. Cancellation within days seven entails full payment.
  2. The Hirer shall pay the fees due no later than 15 days before the period of booking. Fees for regular bookings are invoiced monthly in arrears. If the Hirer wishes to cancel the booking and CDVH is unable to conclude a replacement booking, the question of the repayment of the fees paid (less the deposit) shall be at the discretion of CDVH. In the event of CDVH cancelling the booking in accordance with Rule 3 (c) all fees (including the deposit) paid by the Hirer shall be refunded.
  3. The Hirer shall comply with the General Rules governing the use of CDVH.
  4. The Hirer shall, when making the booking, inform the bookings secretary of their requirements as to the provision of kitchen, Sound and Audio Visual facilities.
  5. The Hirer shall, during the period of hire, be responsible for the supervision of the premises (as prescribed in Rule 9), protection of the fabric and contents, safety from damage, however slight, or change of any sort. The Hirer shall also be responsible for the supervision of car parking so as to avoid obstruction of the highway and the avoidance of nuisance to nearby residents.
  6. Alcohol may not be brought on to the premises without the express permission of the Trustees of CDVH.
  7. The Hirer shall be responsible for obtaining any licences necessary in connection with the booking, other than those already held by CDVH Charlton Down Village Hall has its own licence for the sale of alcoholic beverages. If the hirer intends to make a charge for alcoholic beverages, the hirer may be covered by the Hall’s own licence at a cost of £20.
  8. Children’s Parties (or where children are at adult parties) Should you be planning to hire or use play equipment such as a Bouncy Castle for use in our Hall please ensure that you or your hirer provide, and you use, indoor matting. Hirers’ are reminded that whilst every care is taken to ensure the rooms of the Village Hall are fit and safe for use, no responsibility can be accepted for accidents caused to users by jumping, sliding, running, or by any other cause during the hire of the rooms.  Please note that all Bouncy Castles brought into the Hall must comply with the latest Health & Safety rulings whereby a PIPA tag must be clearly affixed to the equipment.
  9. The main hall and other rooms are used by a wide variety of users and Hirers should be aware that whilst every care is taken to ensure the user’s safety at all times, accidental damage can occur and suitable clothing and footwear should be used by all users whilst inside the building.
  10. Any hall hirer/user will be liable for damage to the floor surface if adequate precautions are not taken to prevent damage due to the careless use or handling of chairs or tables.
  11. The Village Hall General Committee cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or accident occurring during occupation of the premises, or from, or to, any vehicles parked in the permitted car parking areas or to any equipment stored on the premises on behalf of any persons.
  12. We record all accidents that take place on our premises. Any and all accidents are to be recorded in the accident Book which is kept in a clearly marked drawer in the kitchen. Hirers are therefore, requested to make an entry in the Accident Book and notify us in writing of the causes and the impact of the accident including details of actions taken, injuries sustained etc. Please send any such report to the Hon. Secretary, Charlton Down Village Hall, Sherren Avenue, Charlton Down, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 9UA, within 24 hours.
  13. The Hirer shall be responsible for making arrangements to insure against any third party claims, which are not covered by the CDVH insurance. The Hirer should be aware that a profit making operation, arising from the hiring, may exclude them from the CDVH insurance cover. Any hiring involving children may also be excluded from such insurance cover.
  14. Private hirers may be required to lodge an additional deposit, returnable upon the premises being left in a clean and undamaged condition.
  15. The Hirer shall not sublet or use the premises for any unlawful purpose in any way or do anything or bring onto the premises anything which may endanger the premises, their users or any insurance policies relating thereto.
  16. The Hirer shall indemnify CDVH for the cost of repair of any damage done to any part of the property including the curtilage thereof or the contents of the building during or as a result of a booking.


Licence to sell alcoholic beverages
(A) licence to sell alcoholic beverages will be required if there is to be any sale of alcohol on the premises, which includes where a ‘glass of wine is included in the ticket price.’ This arrangement also applies where a bar is ‘brought in’ or provided and drinks sold. If however the hirer/organiser provide alcohol or those attending are asked to bring their own drinks, and no purchase is made at the event, a licence is not required. Hirers may take advantage of the Hall’s own licence to be covered in this case. (See 7) above.

On or around the hall premises (at any event or function) neither sales nor supply of alcohol may be made directly or indirectly to persons under the age of 18 years, nor given to them. To do so is to commit an offence and you will be breaking the law under present legislation.

(B) For slides or films where income will be generated by ticket or betting e.g. a Race Night, a licence to sell alcoholic beverages may need to be obtained.

(C) Prizes which include alcohol in a draw which takes place during, e.g. a play interval may require a licence to sell alcoholic beverages

A licence to sell alcoholic beverages is not required if alcohol, in sealed bottles/cans, is part of a raffle or tombola provided the raffle is not the main fund raising effort of the event nor for private gain. However the result must be declared and all tickets for the draw sold on the day of the event. No money prizes are permitted in raffles etc.

A single licence to sell alcoholic beverages should cover any or all of the above circumstances for a one-off occasion.

Music Licence. It is your responsibility to obtain a Phonographic Performance Licence if required, for public events such as dances, discos, but not private parties and certain fund-raising occasions.

This licence covers sound recordings of any music or spoken word, used in public or private sessions e.g. contract bookings, such as Keep Fit (to music), stories/songs for children, or just background music, royalties being collected for the companies producing the records, tapes and CDs.

To check if your event requires this Licence, contact Phonographic Performance Ltd. (020 7534 1000) or fax (020 7534 1111), web www.ppluk.coma. It is your responsibility to check this and show a valid copy to the Booking Officer if this Licence is required. Those running a disco may well have such a Licence but you should check this yourself/selves and confirm this with the Booking Officer. The General Committee and you are jointly and severally liable if this licence is required and is not obtained. Fines are steep.